Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Part Seven: Tortured Mind, Brotherhood

     Valery understood that I wasn’t in a good state of mind so she walked me home before going on her way. Before today I thought that this was all just a bizarre series of coincidences that I found fascinating. But now I’m angry and upset. I was duped by Eiden!
     Lying on my bed back in my room I’m trying to make sense of it all. It seems the more I know about all of this the more I don’t understand. And I don’t like what’s happening to me. Not one bit. I’m jolted alert by a knock on my bedroom door and in come Jonathan and Nathan.

“Hey little bro. How are you feeling today?” “Yeah, dude, what you been up to?” they ask in unison.

What is up with my brothers? Sometimes they are actually nice to me, but not this often. I can’t take it anymore.

“Why are you two being nice to me? Are you plotting something?” I ask. “You’re going to get me in trouble, aren’t you?”

“No no,” they said again at the same time. “Actually, mom put us up to this. She thinks you’re going through something,” Jonathan confesses.

“Yeah, since you fainted at the Binyamin’s she’s been worried about you,” Nathan added.

“And you know,” Jonathan says sarcastically, “A happy slave is a productive slave.”

“Yeah, dweeb, we want you happy so you can do a good job doing what we say,” Nathan adds in.

“Well,” I shoot back, “You two can tell mom I’m fine. So get out!”

They looked suddenly at each other. Then Jonathan turned to me.



     “Markus,” he said, “What’s up? Why are you angry? Okay, sure, we hassle you a lot, but it’s because you’re our brother. We were just kidding about the slave thing. Well, actually, maybe we weren’t cause being the youngest automatically makes you our slave, right? Come oooon,” he pleaded. “Smile already!”

“Well Jonathan,” I replied, “Your sense of humor is as funny as a brick.”

“Ooh harsh. Very harsh.”

“Nathan,” I argued back, “It’s not as harsh as you throwing me around just for fun! How would you like it if I did the same to you dork head?!”
    I don’t know what’s gotten into me. For a brief second, I totally forgot who I was talking to. Oh boy, I’m going to get it now. But at this moment I’m so angry I don’t care. Let them bring it on.

    But nothing happens, I can’t believe it. Usually I’d get a beating right about now. I see Jonathan and Nathan have a look on their faces, a look of concern. Ok, now I’m starting to think I’m in an alternate dimension or something. Either that or there really is something wrong with me.

    “Markus,” Jonathan says, “We know we pick on you a lot, but that’s what brothers do. We’re really worried about you. You’ve been acting differently the last few days. You’re like totally distracted and it’s like you’re not even there. It kind of takes the fun out of joshing with you, ya know?”

“Yeah, Jonathan is right. You’ve been zoning out a lot,” Nathan added.

“Well,” I say, “I’ve got a lot of things on my mind.”

“Oooooohhhhh,” they cooed in perfect unison as they turned to look at each other.

“I think I know what’s been on your mind,” Nathan goaded.

“I don’t think you do Nathan,” I shot back, “but just out of curiosity what do you think it is?”

“You’ve got a girl!” he said tapping his finger to my chest.

     They must have seen me blush cause then they started getting all wound up like they do, like two high-charged atomic dorks bouncing their idiotic comments off each other. I tried to act cool, but I sense they smelled blood.

“Ooooh,” Jonathan chimed in, “I think you’re right Nathan. So, is that what’s been keeping you so preoccupied dweeb?”

“Oh,” Nathan added, “most definitely, Jonathan, what else could it be?” Then he turns to me and asks, “Why didn’t you share, dweeb? How come?”

    Nathan grabs me and starts tickling me rough, which is totally annoying. I guess their being nice can only last for so long.

“Stop it!” I said loudly, “Besides, it’s more than that.” Oh my god. What have I just said? Talk about leading the wolf to the sheep.

“Well bro,” Jonathan says seriously, “Let me tell you something. Regardless how hot this girl may or may not be, she has someone very special in you.”

“Yeah,” Nathan adds, “And by ‘special’ Jonathan doesn’t mean ‘special aid’ or anything.”
“Okaaaaay. Thanks . . . I think,” I manage to utter hesitatingly.

“And if you need anything, you can always count on us bro,” Nathan said getting up from my bed.
“Thanks Nathan. Thanks Jonathan,” I say as they head for the door.

     In a flash, an image came rushing into my mind. It was them, my brothers, in warrior armor, bizarre looking armor. But then a feeling of security comes over me too. What just happened? Jonathan and Nathan turned and smiled just before they closed the door behind them.

     I don’t really know what’s going on, but I’m starting to have faith that maybe things are going to be okay. But I still have a lot to deal with. I need to get to the bottom of this legend and find a way out of the deal I made with Eiden. I have a feeling this is the start of a long adventure. I just hope it doesn’t end in tears.



End

No comments:

Post a Comment